Quick Links

Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Main Navigation

Top

News

Sign up for the News Update.

Sub Navigation

Top

Headlines

 

Home > breadcrumbs: News and Information > breadcrumbs: News >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

 

Mr. Hargis Update on Possible School Closing

March 17, 2020

Everyone is anxious and wondering about the possibility of Grandview-Hopkins closing because of the corona virus outbreak, and I want to update you on what is going on and what may happen. To start with, there has been no decision made to close as of today, Tuesday March 17, but Grandview-Hopkins ISD is in contact with other area school officials and decision-makers on the need for closing the school, and what that would look like in the event that became necessary. We are in the process of making a decision and will have a decision about school closing or staying open no later than Thursday. There are a lot of moving parts in these decisions, and we are carefully considering all options. We are working with the other school districts in Gray County and beyond, along with regional officials to determine the best plan of action. The situation is very fluid and seems to change every day, so in reality it seems that is really not a matter of if, but when, schools will need to close. We want to be as prepared as possible for whatever happens.

The school building will be sanitized this week and in the event we return to school, and we will take all precautions to keep your child safe and healthy. On the possibility of school closing, we are in the process of thinking how that would look for our students, and how we would support them and you, if we were to have to incorporate distance learning and learning away from the school setting for a period of time.  You may have heard that Governor Abbott has waived the STAAR test requirement for this Spring, so that will bring some relief to students in the event we are out of school for a period of time, but we know there will be a need for educational support from the school district in order for students to continue their education while at home.

Once again, this decision is being considered very carefully. We understand the challenges for parents of schooling from home for a period of time, but we also know that the health and safety of all involved is the primary and ultimate driver for this decision and all others. If it is determined there is a need to close the school for health and safety reasons, we will not hesitate to close the school until the threat of the corona virus is passed.

Mr. Hargis

Back To Top